It is located on the shores of Lake Nemi and is dedicated to two imposing, legendary Roman ships, built by Caligula in the 1st century AD probably for ceremonial purposes. Sunk in the lake basin after centuries of disastrous attempts, they were recovered in the Fascist era, along with numerous valuable artifacts. The special museum, opened in 1939, later ended up tragically destroyed along with the ships in 1944, due to a fire probably set by German soldiers. Rebuilt and reopened in 1988, it now displays two splendid reconstructions as well as archaeological materials from the surrounding area, particularly the Temple of Diana Nemorense. Instead, many of the artifacts found on the ships are kept at the National Roman Museum.

Openings and reservations:

Open daily. Paid tours with or without a guide.

Hours: 09:00 – 19:00.

The ticket office is open until 6 p.m.

For more information: 06 9398040 –